My news feeds are filled today with memes, quotes, and blogs directing me not to waste my energy. It’s hitting me in the face…like whoa! Every other scroll this morning was yet another post urging me (not the world, right, but ME!) on how NOT to waste my energy anymore. Here are 5 things I waste my energy on…
- People Who Don’t Choose Me – I’ve got to stop wasting energy over people who don’t give a flip about maintaining a friendship with me. If they don’t choose to respond or reciprocate, I have to stop choosing to invest my energy in them. Be gone.
- Me Not Choosing Me – I get so busy planning and executing great things for so many people. It’s not necessarily energy wasted, but it’s definitely energy that needs to be divided better. I need to spend more energy doing things I want to do, enjoying things I enjoy, and feeding my soul. “Me” tends to get lost sometimes.
- Complaints & Criticism – My nervous system actually goes into overdrive, and anxiety washes over me, right before I open my Inbox to check my email. My email. Y’all. I have to stop wasting energy worrying that I’m about to get hit with a complaint or criticism from some Petty Betty. (Remember, Amanda, it’s not your responsibility to make people happy or accept responsibility when they’re mad or bitchy.)
- Kid Choices – My kids are 13 and 19, and sometimes they make the wrong choices. They fail to do chores. They talk back. They get involved with other kid drama. I have to stop wasting energy on correcting every little thing and just let them hang. Kids learn better from making mistakes and figuring it all out anyway. Kid choices are NOT a reflection of my parenting.
- Other People’s Choices – I’m learning that I am not responsible for another person’s actions and reactions. They are the captains of their own ships and can steer them any way they like, be that toward smooth sailing or straight into the rocks. I have to stop wasting energy trying to help, influence, or salvage another person’s ship. People are going to do what they’re going to do, say what they’re going to say, and think what they’re going to think.
I’m wasting energy on this crap every, single day, Y’all. I think it’s time I redirect it toward my goals and making more dreams come true. It sounds cliche but it’s so true. I got stuff to do, and pouring energy into the wrong things won’t get them done. Good vibes only. Less wasted energy.